Starting the rebuild

First part of the rebuild was to assemble the bottom end of the engine. We had the crankshaft reground, and once the bearings had returned from be re-white metalled we assembled it into the crankcase.

Next we had a look at the cylinder barrels. They were in a fairly bad state. They had non-original slip fit bottom hung liners that were in poor condition. We had no choice but to machine the liners out.Once the liners were out we measured the cylinder bores and (as you would expect) they were all over the place. To true them up we would have had to remove a significant amount of material – which would have put us at risk of ending up with a substandard cylinder bore wall thickness. Consequently, we had little choice but to fit some sort of dry slip fit repair cylinder liner.

To work out the internal diameter required for the liner we had a look at the pistons. They were also in a state. We contacted Southdowns Omnibus Trust, and somehow they managed to find us some original, unused pistons for the engine!

The new pistons meant we had all the information we required to create an engineering drawing for a new top hung, dry liner which we sent off to a supplier for manufacture.